All international students must live in a school-approved homestay. Students are not permitted to live in flats/apartments. Regardless of age, they must live with a family where approved adults care for them. Parents of students who are not living in a school-arranged homestay (with a designated caregiver for example) are required to sign a form releasing the school from responsibility for their welfare outside school hours.
All accommodation will be regularly visited by the College homestay staff. All Alfriston College homestay carers and their live-in family members over the age of 18 have been vetted by the New Zealand Police.
Alfriston College Homestays:
Fees are paid to the school at the same time as tuition fees. The school pays the homestay families on a fortnightly basis. Students may not change their accommodation without the International Student Leader’s permission, and this permission must be sought in writing and well in advance.
Your Homestay Family:
- Your family has been will be specially chosen for you. They will act in place of your parents while you are in NZ. Make sure you have completed our application form fully and written a detailed letter to your host family so that we understand your needs.
- All families have different habits and customs. It is important to find out what your new family expects of you. You will be given a booklet called International Student Homestay Information and Guidance. You should read and discuss this booklet with your family. It includes a list of useful questions you might ask, such as what to call them, when to have a shower and what happens with your washing.
- You should ask them about use of the computer/internet.
- You will need to get a NZ SIM card for your phone and will need to open a NZ bank account. Your homestay family or our International Student Leader will help you with these.
- Your family will show you how to get to school. NB You are not allowed to own nor drive a car while you are an international student at Alfriston College.
- Most parents work (mother and father).
- In an emergency contact the International Students 24 Hour Emergency Number on +64 (0)21 825 112.
Become a Host Family:
Alfriston College welcomes new home stay families. If you and your family are considering becoming a host family, please read the documents and fill-out the forms and contact our International Student Leader.